Monday, December 29, 2008

The time has come!

This is going to be short and sweet because it is 10:30 PM and my flight leaves at 6 AM tomorrow morning. Yes - my journey to Namibia has officially begun! Tomorrow I will fly from Chicago to Washington DC. In DC I will meet the other 40 volunteers and from there we will take a 14 hour flight to Johannesburg. I will be bringing in the new year in South Africa. We then fly to Windhoek, Namibia on the 1st of January. I will be in orientation for a little over 2 weeks and then I finally arrive in the village of Ogongo, where I will be teaching, on January 17th.

I am not sure how often I will have access to the internet, but I will try and update my blog as much as possible. I would love to hear from all of you via email - my email is rachel.s.manley@gmail.com. I will also have a cell phone once I get there that can be called from a calling cord or a phone with international calling.

I had an amazing last few weeks in Iowa/Wisconsin. Thank you to all of my family and friends for the great times, good lucks, generous contributions and fond farwells! I will miss everyone dearly and keep you in my mind and heart while away.

1 comment:

Cath Manley said...

Well we sure do miss you Peach and hope you've arrived safe and sound and are oooing and awwwing all over the place (that is if you've been able to stay awake! :) We're looking forward to hearing all about it ... soon, we hope :)
Good thing you like heat cuz there seems to be plenty of it for the next several days there. HAPPY NEW YEAR from all of us!!! Love, Cath, Dad, Gin & Meg oxoxoxox