Saturday, August 22, 2009

Living the traditonal life....

I have had the amazing opportunity to experience traditional Owambo life. I have been invited to many traditional homesteads and loved my time there. Part of me wishes I lived on a homestead here rather than teacher housing! Here is a taste of Ovambo life....

This is the kitchen
The huts are made from sticks, grass and mud. Homesteads have anywhere from 2 to 10 huts that are used for cooking, sleeping, storing grains, working or relaxing.



Martha cooking Oshithima (traditional porridge made from mahangu)


Omalovu (traditional beer made from sorghum and mahangu)



Rauha and her Kuku (grandmother) presenting me with a bracelet as a welcoming gift.




Meme Martha sifting mahangu after she finished pounding


Me, in traditional Ovambo dress, attempting to pound mahangu (very difficult!)



They are much stronger than me! Three girls at a time!


Taking a quick break on our 10 km walk to school.


No comments: