Wednesday, April 21, 2010

So much to look forward to.....

This is going to be short and sweet but I wanted to leave one last post before I left the country. Yes I am leaving Namibia....forrrreeeever! Or maybe just for two weeks. I have a month long holiday from school (much needed) and Jen and I are going to Spain for two weeks!

Her parents planned a trip to Barcelona and we found cheap flights, so we said why not Spain? We are spending 5-6 days traveling up the coast from Barcelona and into Southeastern France and will end up back in Barcelona for the remainder of the trip. I am super psyched because I have never been to Europe! My colleagues were shocked when I told them this because they still think that I am a rich American that has been everywhere in the world. Even after telling them I am a poor college grad, they refuse to believe that Namibia was my first step outside of North America. (Side note: while I would not consider myself anywhere near to wealthy by American standards, after living here a year I have become overwhelmingly thankful for what I have been given!) So we will be in Spain for two weeks and will return to Namibia just in time for my mom and step dad to arrive. Jen and I will then be piggybacking my parents trip and taking a 4x4 truck up the west coast of Namibia - Sousseveli, Swakopmund, Skeleton Coast, Opuwo and Epupa Falls. We we end the journey back in Ogongo.

Next term will start up again in the end of May. My mom is staying again for a month or so. I have a lot of exciting projects in store for term two. With my mom there, we are planning a schoolwide Health Fair for the learners. We will have information on nutrition, HIV/AIDS, dental hygiene, exercise, eye care, etc. We have started a fundraiser called Eyes On Ogongo that is going to provide visits to the eye doctor and prescription glasses for the neediest learners. $75 will sponsor one child....let me know you are interested in helping out!

My second project is a teachers' workshop. I will be conducting a day long workshop for all of my colleagues addressing corporal punishment, classroom management, team building and postive behavior support. I am super excited, and a bit nervous, about doing this! I really hope it is successful. Also in the plans for term 2 is a school trip to Etosha National Park. We are rewarding the top learner in every class with a trip to the country's wildlife reserve. None of my learners have ever even seen a giraffe or zebra and they live just a few hours from Etosha! Most of my colleagues have never even been there! (Makes me feel a bit guilty having visited the park three times now)

These past few weeks have been a bit of a struggle for me at school....not a bit, a huge struggle. I almost got to the point of resigning as a teacher. I have gotten through it and now I have so many exciting things to look forward to in the next few months!!!

Adios amigos!

No comments: