Thursday, March 12, 2009

Candihole Ejundja!

I've had numerous request for more blog posts and pictures,which makes me happy that you are reading and enjoying them! Unfortunately my internet access is minimal and very sporadic. I have taken a lot of great pictures, but uploading them is a nightmare and takes about 10 minute per picture. I heard that it is easier to upload pictures to Facebook, so I will try that for all of you that are on the big FB. As for blog posts, I am going to try to write a few journals every week and then just post them all at once when I have internet access.

Tuesday, March 3rd
Thank you so much for everyone who showed interest in helping with my fundraising efforts. I now have 4-5 book drives starting back home – that is amazing! I really want to make this new library project a reality! My mom, Heidi, is heading fundraising efforts back home for the library and has some great ideas. Keep watching my blog for an update about how you can make a donation and have a book dedicated to you and put in the new library!

I recently remembered a blog worthy story from my very first night in Ogongo. Prior to coming here, the only information that I had about my living situation was that the village was building me a new house! So were are driving to my placement in the dark, way out in the middle of no where. I was sure that I was going to be living in the bush and I would have to ride a donkey to get to my stick hut. Then in the distance I see these bright christmas lights. The driver says, “Your place is there” and points to the oasis of red, yellow and green lights. As we get closer I realize that the lights are decorating a local bar called “Chris Pub” and my place is a small flat right next to the shabeen. Anyways, we pull into the compound and it is hard to really see the house and even the faces of the people who are anxiously greeting me. Then my principal brings me into my flat and after she turns on the light it is clear to me that this is not a newly built house. I will spare you the details. One of the first things my principal says to me is, and I quote, “We could not build you a new house because of the World Cup.” At first I thought I misheard her or maybe something was lost in translation, but then she explained. So they get all of their cement shipments from South Africa and their order was put on hold. Apparently there is a shortage of cement coming from South Africa because they are using all of it to build facilities for the upcoming World Cup. Therefore, it is the World Cup's fault that my house was not built. I've started to blame all of the misfortunes or delays here on the World Cup.

Word/Phrase of the Day: Efundja = flood


Wednesday, March 4nd
Some of the older learners have been telling me about a wedding tradition practiced in Namibia that is called a labola (sp?). After asking for a woman's hand in marriage, it is customary, and required, for the groom to give the bride's family a large gift/offering. In some tribes, the groom is expected to give up to 15 or 20 cattle. In other tribes it may be a few goats, plowing equipment, or money. This tradition is still practiced, to some extent, almost everywhere in Namibia and many people are questioning its worth. It is stopping some couples from getting married because the groom is not wealthy enough to offer what the family is expecting,therefore not receiving their approval. It is then causing couples to move in together and bare children out of wedlock. My learners were very insightful about the issue and compared both sides of the issue. One interesting point that they made was that the relationship between husband and wife would change if this tradition was abolished. Now, many husbands feel that they “own” their wives and take on the attitude of “You better do as a say because I paid a lot for you!” This dynamic would change if groom's no longer “paid” in order to marry their wives.

Word/Phrase of the Day: Otandi ilongo Oshiwambo = I am learning Oshiwambo


Monday, March 9th
Last night, about 100 learners came to camp at the school. They set up mattresses (if they were lucky to have them) and blankets in the classrooms. Two memes (mothers) came along to help with the cooking. They set up a fire and made enough food for 100 kids faster than I cook for myself! Unfortunately today we had to tell the learners that we could not stay open and they had to go home for another two weeks. It took a 2 hour staff meeting to come to that decision. It was one of the first times that I have really seen my colleagues debate something and express their opinions. It was also the first time that I felt comfortable expressing my views during a staff discussion. It felt really good to be a part of the discussion rather than a spectator. It was hard to make that decision, knowing that the learners have already lost almost 3 weeks of classes. It is going to be difficult to compensate for that lost time. Now I have another two week holiday! I am hoping to visit some other volunteers during this time off.

Word/Phrase of the Day: Ondishi Oshiwambo kashona = I know a little Oshiwambo


Wednesday, March 11th
Due to the flood craziness, these past two weeks have been a roller coaster ride. To quote a friend, I have been “fluctuating between excessively hopeless and overly optimistic.” Everyday is a new challenge – walking 10 km to get out of my village because the road is washed out, walking back 10 km with numerous bags of groceries, entertaining 10 grade 11 girls for two weeks, coping with the fact that over 30 people have died due to the flooding in my region alone (mostly drownings), sitting through a 3 hour parents meeting in Oshiwambo, purchasing and transporting food for 100 learners that are camping at school, finding out that we cannot have learners camping and being forced to stay closed! But I have learned from my Namibian friends to find light in everything that I do and to celebrate the small successes (like not having rain for 3 days, being able to greet in Oshiwambo with ease and baking two dozen delicious chocolate chip cookies).

Tomorrow I begin my journey across northern Namibia. I will spend the day in Oshakati with Frans, a friend and former colleague. Then tomorrow night I am going to Okahao to celebrate Jen's birthday with her and a few others. Saturday I will attempt to hike all the way to Rundu (about 8 hours east of me). I will stay there for most of next week, visiting different volunteers and their schools. Then I will be back in Ongwediva next Friday for a night out with Jocie and a bunch of the other volunteers. I am really excited to visit some of the volunteers that I have not seen since orientation and to experience their schools/villages.

Word/Phrase of the Day: ondongi =donkey

No comments: