Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The greatest gift....

My learners enjoy bringing me small gifts that I have come to look forward to receiving. I am just amazed at the generosity of these children who have nothing of their own. The gifts are a surprise every time – random fruit or nuts, guava, half eaten fat cake, used erasers, hand drawn maps of the school, elaborate greeting cards that read “I love you more than fat cakes” or “This love explain how you feel to words.” The day before a math test I got a card that said “Please pray to God tonight that I pass your test tomorrow!”


Today I received a gift that tops all of them......a cat. Serious. Sabina, a grade 6 learner, walked into class today with a large cardboard box and handed it to me and said “okambishi” and sure enough, under the newspaper and plastic, there was a black and white kitten! Cats are not well-liked here, so the learners were shocked at how ecstatic I was and they thought I was joking when I said the cat would sleep in my bed with me...ha. I spent the night trying to get her to eat and not run under my bed out of reach. I am still thinking about a name.....


Word of the Day: Okambishi = cat

2 comments:

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

RACHEL! I FINALLY found your blog and got on it...it's just been in the back of my mind, and now I'm here! I can't wait to catch up and see how everything is going, but congrats on the cat! WAHOO! We miss you!

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

Alex shared your blog with me. Sounds like you are learning a great deal and I am so proud of the work you are doing. Always knew you were an amazing woman.

We would like to make a small donation to you...how do we do that? My email is: denning218@hotmail.com

Bless you Rachel...you are a very special person!