Monday, April 20, 2009

High Hopes!





The stars are aligning and everything seems to be falling into place for myself and my school. Both the newly constructed buildings (one for classrooms, one for teacher housing) are nearing their completion and look beautiful! Grade 10-11 and myself will be moving into our new homes by the end of the month. I'm pretty excited for running water and a flushing toilet! The teachers are finished with their daily computer training, which means we can finally start sports and other extra-curricular activities. I am super excited about this because I am starting the very first ladies' soccer team at Ogongo Combined School. We had our first set of tryouts today and over 40 girls came out! It looks like I have my work cut out for me, but I am ready. Task number one - choose a team, task two – teach the rules of soccer, task three – find other girls' teams to play against!


Let's see, what else....


The past couple weekends have been great. We had a 4 day weekend for Easter and I went to Etosha National Park with other volunteers. It was relaxing and beautiful! We had tons of great animal sightings, including 27 giraffes, a handful of jackels, 3 elephants, and an entire pride of lions! I will try to post a few of the best pictures. It was also great to spend time with some of the volunteers that I have not seem since orientation. Last weekend my roommate and I went to stay at Meme Bertha's, once again to make banana bread (without bananas). Then I spent most of the day Saturday with my principal in Oshakati, finishing the night at home grading a million math tests (majority of them passed!!). Sunday night a played a hilarious game of soccer with some of the Grade 11 girls and boys. We played barefoot in our front lawn by the light of a motion-censored flood light. We could see as long as someone was running in front of the showers every few minutes!


Phrase of the day: Inda hui = Go away!


Sleepover at Meme Bertha's with our 'no banana' banana cake. From left to right: Meme Aili (colleague), Meme Bertha(colleague), Ishuna, Ester, Magano(roommate)

2 comments:

Cath Manley said...

WOW!! Great to talk w/you on Sunday! Hope the stew was yummy. Super fab picture of the lilac breasted roller!!! Good Job!! You should submit that - it's as good (or better) than many I saw on line. The giraffe sunset pic is awesome. I love your 'sleepover' pic. They look like neat women. So excited about the upcoming move and will get those books out to you this week. Love you mucho!! Cath and Dad oxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Rach! This is so amazing... please let me know if you need anything... and as soon as you can, I am about to pass out some things to another group that actually does mission work in africa but will be sure to save you anything you may need that I could possibly send. Much love, denninga@obu.edu